What's Hither Green like?

Here is where you can post anything within reason. No advertising in this forum apart from non profit making community or charitable events.

What's Hither Green like?

Postby Triggs00 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 am

Hi there

Thinking of moving to Hither Green, can anyone give any tips on the local area? I've read quite a lot on this forum about Ennersdale Road and Hither Green Lane having problems with anti social behaviour, attributing it largely to the St Mungos hostel on Ennersdale Road. Is it really that bad? Appreciate hearing what you have to say. Would be great to hear the good stuff too! Thanks
Triggs00

Re: What's Hither Green like?

Postby steve0f » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:32 am

hi there and welcome to Hither Green!!! :lol:
We have good links to the city !
We have Green Fields
We have Lewisham Peoples Day
We have several chemits/coffee shops and such
We have parking permits (yah)!!! £120 per year!!!
M25 quite near

bad points :!:
Not bad at all there are worst places
steve0f

Postby HAJA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:41 am

its ace, good priced house, great parks, esp manor house gardens, good nurseries for kids, great people, i live on leahurst rd which is fab and friendly, mixture of young families and older couples, i dont buy into the bashing the mungo thing. Apart from a few odd people (that are probably odd thru no fault of thier own) its never bothered me and I guess they have to live somewhere. I lived on theodore rd, then brightside before, all great roads. I think HG is a gem.
HAJA

Postby pauls » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:57 am

I think HG is a nice place to live. We've got a couple of young kids, and there are 3 parks within 5 minutes walk of our house which is great for them. MHG is the best, such a gem, full of nice people. Lots of nice houses around, and whilst nothing in London is a “bargain” compared to a lot of areas, they are really good value. Especially considering the transport links – loads of trains into town & takes less then 20 mins.
There are a few undesirables around, but where aren’t there? Only complaints would be lack of a nice pub & a restaurant or two + for some reason seems to have more than its fair share of dog muck on the pavements. Really wish they would clamp down on that, its probably only a couple of scum bags who let their dogs do that, but needs to stop, its really anti social. Whilst HG doesn’t exactly teem with nightlife, it’s a really pleasant place to live.
pauls

Postby clogsilk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:09 pm

It's a nice place to live. The staff at Pistachio's in MHG could do with a few lessons in how to treat their customers though. I won't go there now, prefer Mountsfield Park, which is decidedly more friendly, less yummy and has fantastic views.

If you don't mind not being in "trendy" Hither Green on the Lee side of the station, then on the Hither Green side there is the Corbett Estate which has fantastic houses for reasonable (for London) prices, and good schools. There is also Meridian South on that side if you are looking for a flat. :mrgreen:
clogsilk

Postby fordjalistair » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:52 pm

I can't reccommend it enough - it really is one of those hidden gems. We live on the Lee side of the station but both sides have their up sides and down sides. Its got fantastic links to London and its safe by London standards - I used to live in Brixton and Shepherds Bush and by comparison its a nirvana of peace and tranquility. Best of all has to be the parks. Manor House Gardens is a real gem for Summer, esp if you have kids. I have to disagree slightly with a previous comment in that I've always found the staff in Pistachios to be really great!! The only downside as everyone keeps on saying is the lack of decent pubs and restaurants in the immediate vicinity. But Blackheath is just down the road with heaps of venues.

The real only downside can be summed up in three short words: The. Station. Pub.
fordjalistair

Postby clogsilk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:59 pm

Agree, the Station could be great but at the moment it's just not.
clogsilk

Postby luwa » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:16 pm

I think Hither Green is great...especially for young families. I dont really see much evidence of the "undesirables" that other people mention ( havent noticed any more in this area than in other parts of London really). The parks are great and create a lovely community atmosphere...especially manor house gardens. We live on the Lee side and find it very friendly and close to the parks etc. Good cafes but, like others have said, definately lacking in a decent pub/restaurant ( although Blackheath very close by....and I notice a supperclub has opened in Hither Green too!). Shame the cinema didnt happen.......
luwa

Postby chickenlicken » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 pm

really nice - very peaceful and really good transport links and a very spacious feeling. the new restaurant and development by the station might mean that area gets more investment, too. we moved here about 6 months ago after much deliberation and looking round what felt like the whole of south east london and are very pleased we ended up here.

it is possible that at least some of the dog muck is fox poo, which while still grim is somehow less bad?
chickenlicken

Postby Helena » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Hither Green's a little gem, in my opinion. I arrived here by chance, but am very glad I did so. Very friendly area - I have got to know so many people since I landed a year ago. Lovely parks, specially Mountsfield with its super-friendly café. Great transport connections in all directions. The only thing I disapprove of is the Co-Op - far too expensive. But Sainsbury is just 5 mins away on the bus.

One of things I would like to see here - and this may sound really odd!! - is a £ shop! :mrgreen: For all those little odds & ends you find you need, but that other shops just don't sell! I seem to remember reading a while ago that there was one, but it closed - I wonder why?!
Helena

Postby The Mayor of H Green » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 pm

H Green is very nice but i agree with Clogsilk- use your noddle and you'll get a far better deal the 'other' side of Hither Green lane. We live in Farley Road which backs onto Mountsfield Park so have H Green station 5 mins walk and Catford station 10 mins walk away and a lovely park to look out on every morning. Whilst the over flow from Lee (itself an overflow from Blackheath) pushes the prices up over thar in SE13, you'll still get a 3 or 4 bed house over here for the price of a 2 bed flat over there- meaning you have plenty of cash left over to spend in You Don't Bring Me Flowers, or indeed Masons in Ladywell. Wherever you settle, there are some good people around here, some interesting stuff going on (Hither Green Cinema, loads of cafe's and a very intruiging sounding supper club, open houses) and you're ten minutes to London Bridge, 20 from the centre of town. Just do it.
The Mayor of H Green

Postby grado_optimo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 pm

..and dont forget...

HITHER GREEN WEEK
21st - 29th of May this year!

Booking stalls right now..if you are interested in having a stall, simply download the booking form and send it to info@ourhithergreen.com

http://www.ourhithergreen.com/index_files/page0016.htm

The week will be full of music, laughter, dancing and even Sports!

Cant wait!
grado_optimo

Return to General Hither Green Discussion