Kebab Shop

Here is where you can post anything within reason. No advertising in this forum apart from non profit making community or charitable events.

Re: Kebab Shop

Postby Maisie » Sun May 01, 2011 7:23 pm

hamblemary wrote:Just think, we''ll be able to buy our cheap kebabs and then sit and eat on the delightful plastic seating they've just bolted to the front of the store.

It'll be like living in Paris.
:lol:
Maisie

Postby VillaMatt » Mon May 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Have to say went in their the other day, not as good as the Frying Squad but not bad and really friendly people running it.
VillaMatt

Postby chickenlicken » Fri May 13, 2011 4:03 pm

tried a shish yesterday - kind of like a deconstructed kebab, bit difficult to eat. chilli sauce nearly blew head off.

would give it a 4.5/10. very friendly staff though.
chickenlicken

Postby Sand » Wed May 18, 2011 7:23 pm

luwa wrote:Oh dear, I am very sorry to report that I have just eaten a chicken shish kebab from Typical and it was probably the worst chicken I have ever tasted. It tasted like some kind of spongey reformed meat.....it tasted worse than any chicken I have eaten in any cheap ready meal! I am not in the habit of eating kebabs but have definately had nicer ones and would have liked to have been able to recommend a local takeaway. I did have a kebab from the previous kebab shop that was there...and unfort it was much nicer! My other half ( who is in the the habit of eating kebabs) had the lamb shish and wasnt particularly impressed either. Shame.

I totally agree with you Luwa, I've just had a chicken shish from the kebab shop "Typical" and the chicken was like processed food, very strange and disapointing. Won't go back, not worth it, shame, it was conveniently placed!
Sand

Postby Strummer77 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:50 am

I was there the other night, had a Doner it wasn't until i'd eaten a bit of it and the chilli sauce kick had subsided that i realised the meat wasn't cooked properly. I won't be going there again.
Strummer77

Postby Fifi La Femme » Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 am

I had a chicken kebab a couple of weeks ago from there, I couldn't eat it, it was so gross, the panini's are nice, but it's put me right off going there again, specially after reading all the other comments, and the staff are so lovely, it's a shame.
Fifi La Femme

Postby Strummer77 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 am

Such a shame as they would definitely have got my business after a night out as well.
Strummer77

Postby pauls » Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am

yeah, slightly annoying. we wait about 4 years for the shop to re-open & when it does, its a bit rubbish
pauls

Postby PeterG » Thu May 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Never had any of their chicken products, but their lamb doner I think is excellent, generous portions and far better than the rubbery rip-off from the Frying Squad.
PeterG

Postby Bugs99 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:36 am

Bruce wrote:Talking of takeaways, one of the things that the Hither Green Lane side of the tracks has is potentially the best takeaway I have ever visited in London. The Frying Squad is truly excellent. Great kebabs, really friendly staff and good Fish & Chips (for London).

Totally agree. The Frying Squad does FABULOUS chicken kebabs. And great fish and chips. Lovely staff too.
Bugs99

Postby Helena » Fri May 20, 2011 11:13 am

Strange.... I have a totally different view of the Frying Squad. It's most chaotic fish n chip shop I've ever been into. I don't understand their serving strategy at all. I went in two days ago - only one there - and the guy was doing something, so I waited till he asked me what I wanted. A girl suddenly marched in, asked for chicken & chips - and he started to serve her! My eyebrows flew up into my hairline, and he said "sorry, she asked first!!" :shock: I walked out, And it's not the first time I've walked out of there. I've had chicken there, and to me it's nothing to write home about. Also £1.40 for a portion of chips is outrageous. All IMHO, of course.
Helena

Postby Helena » Fri May 20, 2011 11:16 am

For me, the very best chip shop is the one further up by the Thornford Road bus stop - extremely friendly & fast service, and you can actually phone them beforehand so that it's ready for you when you get there. Can't remember the name of it now...
Helena

Postby clogsilk » Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Lee Fish Bar is my fish and chip shop of choice. Used to be round the corner when I lived in Lee, but will happily drive there on the odd occasion I fancy some fish and chips now! Service is fast and friendly and I've never had reason to complain about the food, it's always been great. And they do mushy peas.
clogsilk

Postby pauls » Fri May 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Ocean Fish Bar on Manor lane is pretty good, and they deliver!
how cool is that?
i've never heard of a place delvering fish & chips before. Not quite as good as fish & chips you get at the sea side, but don't think many places in london are.
If you fancy a Kebab, then reckon Tasty Grill is your best bet on Lee Road. They deliver as well.
pauls

Postby lucyvs » Fri May 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Slightly random question, but do any of these places do a decent thin, crispy chip? I'm not so keen on the fat soggy chip shop chips (try saying that fast)...
lucyvs

PreviousNext

Return to General Hither Green Discussion