Train information boards - London Bridge

Here is where you can post anything within reason. No advertising in this forum apart from non profit making community or charitable events.

Train information boards - London Bridge

Postby Bruce » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:42 pm

I wanted to ask if any other readers of the forum find the train info boards at the entrance to platforms 1-6 at London Bridge useless. I cannot understand why the station operators do not put a full listing electronic board at the entrance to the platform tunnels. If you come up the escalators from the Northern line you have to go through the barriers to the main station concourse to find out the next train and platform to Hither Green. It's completely nuts. Does anyone else find this really annoying? I'm going to find out who has the power to sort it and put the address up on the forum. I'm sure if lots of us wrote in something might be done.
Bruce

Re: Train information boards - London Bridge

Postby Rebruce » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Bruce,

I agree that those boards are compeltely useless and are also dangerous as large crowds gather there full of people no doubt trying to work out where they need to go. SOmetimes i just pick a platform and then walk to the other end and up to stairs as there are fulls creens there but I agree it needs to be sorted. I would definately write if you were to find a name!
Rebruce

Postby max » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Good idea Bruce, I agree, those boards are completely useless, I normally either chance it to platform 1 or 4 or go into the main hall to read the board and back again, which of course on occasion means that I miss the train for the time it takes me to go and read.
Let's write in, I'd also say there is also a strong case about decongesting the station removing the unneccessary crowding produced by all the people that are at a loss staring at the boards and those that like me go into the hall and back again. If you'd move these people out of the picture you'd have a much less crowded environment.
max

Postby richard » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:59 pm

I agree wholheartedly.

There is a similar promlem, although more space, at waterloo east, as the next train monitor does not show Ladywell, Catford, and I think Hither Green.Perhaps a letter from the forum or from Our Hither Green is the way forward.

I would be happy to add my name or to send the appropriate letters on behalf of the forums.
richard

Postby Tristram » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Why would anyone want to go to London Bridge anyway? There is enough to do in Hither Green.
Tristram

Postby mikesilky » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Rebruce wrote:I agree that those boards are compeltely useless and are also dangerous as large crowds gather there full of people no doubt trying to work out where they need to go.

I was nearly flattened there the other week - I was walking by and a chap who'd been waiting for some information to come up on the screen made a dash for platform 4 and clattered in to me.

I've no idea why the "next train" boards at Charing X and Waterloo E don't show the next departure to Hither Green - HG is after all one of South Eastern's busiest stations...
mikesilky

Postby Bruce » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Yes it's a very busy station catering for 2.5 million people per year. (many of those are the same people making regular journeys)
Bruce

Postby Natalia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Agree, it's very irritating and I often end up missing my train because I have to go out and come back in to check the big boards on the main station concourse. If you find somewhere to write in, let us know, I will happily write in !
Natalia

Postby greenwichhouse » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:24 pm

I agree. I've had a number of visiters from abroad being completely perplexed by our charming system. (We actually have to walk to the passenger bridge to find out where and when to catch the next train to HG) mental!
greenwichhouse

Postby rodders » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:08 pm

I must be the exception as I don't have a problem. firstly I generally know the times of the trains to Hother Green from 17.40 to 19.10 which is the time I will generally be at London Bridge. If you are unsure check the next trains per the board for platforms 1, 4 and 5 and check to see if it is going to Hither Green.

When the new timetable comes out on December 13th I'll make sure I have a printed copy of the times that trains to Hither Green leave and know which train to look out for by the time I get to the boards.

I'm not sure there is enough room for a full listing and won't this potentially cause more congestion in the small area?
rodders

Postby biccy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 am

As someone who uses various routes at various times across London 7 days a week I can understand peoples difficulty.

Travelling at weekends can be a logistical nightmare and the timetable is cast aside.

Hasn't a video screen listing trains been introduced in the underpass, could that be adapted?

Of the electronic displays for each platform doesn't the next train have a tickertape showing the stations where the train will stop?

Is it the display of 2nd and 3rd trains that's the problem as they could all indicate Dartford but not show which route or if they stop at Hither Green.

Would it help adding a fourth line to the digital displays to provide a tickertape for the 2nd and 3rd trains?
biccy

Return to General Hither Green Discussion